Bemana is helping a development-stage company with a focus on developing a sustainable, diversified supply of lithium chemicals that underpin the future of energy storage and mobile transportation to find a Safety Manager to join their team.
The Safety Manager will be tasked with supporting efforts in setting up and implementing effective safety programs for operation of the new plant. The position plays a key role in the operations team and serves as the site safety leader, working closely with all functions at the site, to implement and sustain a best-in-class safety culture. The Safety Manager will oversee the safety management of the plant to develop and subsequently ensure policies and procedures are followed. This role will help develop, review, and improve processes that will maximize safety at the site.
- Responsible for all aspects of operations health, safety, and security at the plant.
- Provide safety guidance to the site to drive “a commitment to zero” safety culture.
- Review, create and implement a best-in-class positive safety culture for the site with the right procedures and programs.
- Manage the Safety Team for the Site.
- Develop the Emergency Response Team for the Site.
- Ensure regulatory compliance in areas of MSHA and OSHA, where applicable across the processing site.
- Ensure programs are established and implemented to enable understanding of safety compliance requirements for the site and business.
- Establish a culture of health and safety utilizing behavioral based safety methods, proactive risk mitigation, and root cause analysis to reduce safety risk and exposure.
- Manage the operations site safety, contract emergency services and contracted security services programs, and work to integrate these programs into business operations.
- Chairs site Safety Committee meetings & provides topic guidance for Safety Toolbox meetings.
- Network with other safety professionals, trade, and professional associations as well as businesses, sites, and other functions on tools and approaches for compliance and be effective in shaping policy, best practices, and standards for the sites.
- Responsible for hazard screening of all new chemicals to be brought on site.
- Oversee the site industrial hygiene programs including occupational monitoring.
- Develop internal audit plans, review performance, and give feedback to management on gaps to drive continual EHS improvement.
- Manage the OSHA Process Safety Management (PSM), Industrial Hygiene, Fire, Distribution, incident management and Safety assessments.
- Responsible for the implementation of ISO-45001 Occupational Health and Safety.
- Develop and implement the Site Emergency Response Plan and Incident Management Plan.
- Develop annual safety training programs such as MSHA and OSHA, ensuring ongoing compliance with required regulations; manage and track all safety-related training documentation.
- Potentially participate in corporate audits at different sites.
- Provide training and guidance for a safe work culture and ensure technical/functional and operating skills are current and effective.
- Coach and mentor teams and individuals on health and safety training, opportunities, and concerns.
- Serve as site Responsible Care Management System leader.
- Support Corporate Community Organizations on Safety Presentations.
- Support injury and illness recordkeeping and case management process; maintain relevant logs and documentation.
- Develop and analyze safety programs and processes that track safety metrics and performance targets to ensure effective processes and tools are in place.
- Manage and develop corrective action plans and oversee resolution of safety audit findings, leading indicators, and root cause analysis.
- Develop a culture of continual improvement from internal audit programs, performance metrics, and feedback gaps.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in basic science or technical degree in the field of EHS management, or equivalent relevant work experience in EH&S is required.
- Minimum ten years of proven work experience serving as a Safety Manager or similar leadership role in the chemical, oil and gas, or mineral processing industry is highly preferred.
- Experience and working knowledge of U.S. and State of Nevada OSHA and/or MSHA.
- Experience in an OSHA PSM facility is required.
- Strong leadership, team building, people management, and development skills in an industrial environment.
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP), or in the Comprehensive Practice of Industrial Hygiene by the American Board of Industrial Hygiene (or equivalent certification recognized by the International Occupational Hygiene Association National Accreditation Recognition Committee) a plus.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with state and local emergency services.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with federal, state, and local regulatory agencies including MSHA and OSHA.
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks and deadlines as well as manage change and work independently.
- Demonstrated ability implementing a sustainable behavioral safety program and utilizing programs such as SafeStart or similar.
- Networking, influence, and conflict resolution skills with strong focus on deliverables with excellent oral and written skills along with the ability to apply these in the regulatory, advocacy and public affairs culture.
- Demonstrated ability to utilize computer software (systems used are Microsoft Office, intra/internet, etc.) including the VelocityEHS Safety and Risk Management and SafeStart tools at the site.
- Ability to Travel <10% (training, network meetings, participation in auditing)
- Adequate knowledge of business and management principles and systems (budgeting, strategic planning, resource allocation and human resources).
- Safety experience with large scale chemical, mineral, and hydrometallurgical processes is preferred.
- Personal commitment to core cultural values of safety, teamwork, and environmental stewardship.
- Ability to work well with others internal and external to the organization in an effective manner.
- Ability to critically challenge assumptions, “think outside the box”, and deliver creative solutions.
- Be a self-starter: highly motivated, able to work independently, with high energy.
- Bring a positive attitude and willingness to embrace diverse perspectives in a collaborative working environment.
If your experience matches the description above, submit your resume, and one of our recruiters will be in touch to tell you more about the position and learn more about your experience and aspirations.
If your experience does not match this job description, we still encourage you to reach out to one of our recruiters, so we can learn about your professional aspirations for future job openings.
Bemana provides recruiting services to the nation’s equipment and industrial sectors. Our clients and candidates value us for our specialized recruiting expertise, vast knowledge of the equipment and industrial job market, and ability to solve their most challenging employment needs. We have successfully recruited thousands of top-level professionals filling a wide range of management, sales, engineering, and technical positions across the nation.
Welcome to Bemana and we look forward to getting to know more about you.
Bemana offers a $500 reward for referrals that lead to a hire. So, if this job or location is not for you, but you know someone that might be interested, send them this link and we’ll send you a check if they get hired. Terms & conditions apply.